Citizenship by Marriage
A non-national is eligible to make an application for citizenship by virtue of Marriage if he or she is married to a Jamaican citizen.
- The application should be made (in duplicate) on the Registration Form, R1 which is obtainable at the Jamaica Printing Services, 77 1/2 Duke Street, Kingston, the Jamaican High Commissions, Embassies and Consulates as well as online at www.pica.gov.jm .
- The form should be read carefully, then completed and signed in the presence of a Justice of the Peace for persons submitting their applications locally and by a Consular Officer, Notary Public or Commissioner of Oaths for overseas applications.
- The applications must be submitted to the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency or the nearest Jamaican High Commission, Embassy or Consulate supported by the following original documents.
- Official Marriage Certificate
- Husband and Wife’s Official Birth Certificate/ Certificate of Jamaican Citizenship
- Husband and Wife’s Current Passport
- Decree Absolute (where applicable)
- Work Permit/ Marriage Exemption Certificate (if resident in Jamaica)
- Verification of Income e.g. Employment Letter , Last 3 Pay slips, Company Financial Statements (should not be older than 6 months)
- Recent Bank Statement (should not be older than 6 months)
- A Personal Tax Compliance Certificate. NB If applicant is the owner of a business , the company Tax Compliance Certificate must be submitted (if resident in Jamaica)
- If applicant operates a wholesale/haberdashery then Income Tax Filings with both Personal and Business Tax Compliance Certificates are required
- A Police Certificate from country or last Residence (if resident in Jamaica)
- Official Change of Name Document – Court Order, Deed Polls registered through the court or the Country’s record office, etc (where applicable)
- Two Passport sized photographs of the applicant certified by a Justice of the Peace, Notary Public, Commissioner of Oaths or Consular Officer
- Compliant applications will be prepared for submission to the Minister within twenty four (24) months.
PICA reserves the right to request additional and or updated information during the processing of the application.
- General Citizenship Information
- Category Of Citizenship
- Becoming a Citizen