Citizenship by Marriage
A non-national is eligible to make an application for citizenship by virtue of Marriage if he or she is married to a Jamaican citizen.
- The application should be made (in duplicate) on the Registration Form, R1 which is obtainable at the Jamaica Printing Services, 77 ½ Duke Street, Kingston or PICA, the Jamaican High Commissions, Embassies and Consulates as well as online at www.pica.gov.jm .
- The Form should be read carefully, then completed and signed in the presence of either a Justice of the Peace, a Notary Public or someone authorized to administer Oaths.
- 3. The application must be submitted to the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency, 8 Waterloo Road, Kingston 10 or the nearest Jamaican High Commission/Embassy or Consulate supported by the following original documents.
• Official Marriage Certificate
• Husband and Wife’s Official Birth Certificate/ Certificate of Jamaican Citizenship
• Husband and Wife’s Current Passport
• Decree Absolute (where applicable)
• Police Certificate from country of last Residence (previous to Jamaica)
• Official Change of Name Document – Court Order, Deed Polls registered through the court or the Country’s record office, etc (where applicable)
• Two Passport sized photographs of the applicant certified by a Justice of the Peace, Notary Public, Commissioner of Oaths or Consular Officer. The applicant’s name along with the name, number and signature of the certifying officer and the certification date no older than 6 months should be included). No embossed seal.
• 2 identical photographs are required with an application *
• Photographs should be taken in colour with a matte/dull finish, against a plain background
• Applicants of light complexion should avoid wearing white clothing and should have photographs taken against a pastel shaded background
• Applicants of dark complexion should wear coloured clothing and photographs should be taken against a white background.
• Applicants with grey/white hair should have their photograph taken against a pale blue or pastel background
• There must be no other person or object in the photograph
• There should be no background shadows
• A full frontal pose is required
• There should be no creases or ink marks on the photograph
• Exposed shoulders and chest must be avoided
• Bright coloured clothing is not recommended
• Eye glasses should not have tinted lenses
• Heavy (thick) frames should be avoided
• Headgear is permitted ONLY for religious purposes. Facial features including the outline of the face from the bottom of the chin to top of the forehead must me clearly shown
• Photographs submitted with an application become the property of the Government of Jamaica
• No embossed seal
* The 2 passport-sized photographs should be certified by a consular officer, Justice of the Peace, Notary Public Commissioner of Oaths. The name of the applicant along with the name, number and signature of the certifying officer should be included. Certification should not be older than 6 months. Photographs must be dated.
Compliant applications will be prepared for submission to the Minister for approval within twenty-four (24) months.
• Applications submitted locally will attract a non-refundable fee of JMD$50,000.00. Payment for local applications will only be accepted in Jamaican Dollars.
• Fees for the various foreign currencies are accepted but are only applicable to applications submitted through the Jamaican High Commission Consulates/Embassies. The required costs are quoted as follows: USD$260.00; CAD$290.00; GBP£155.00; EUR€222.00
PICA reserves the right to request additional and or updated information during the processing of the application.
- General Citizenship Information
- Category Of Citizenship
- Becoming a Citizen