Naturalisation of Aliens to the Commonwealth requires that:
The applicant should have attained the age of eighteen (18) years, should have lived in Jamaica for a minimum of five (5) years on aggregate and for 12 months immediately preceding submission of the application and, be of good character.
- 1.The application should be made (in duplicate) on Naturalisation Form, N1 which is obtainable at the Jamaica Printing Services, 77 1/2 Duke Street, Kingston, PICA offices or from the PICA website: www.pica.gov.jm .
- 2. The Form should be carefully read then completed signed in the presence of a Justice of the Peace, a Notary Public or someone authorized to administer Oaths.
- 3. Four (4) references are required as sponsors of the application. These persons should be Jamaican by birth and should not be a Civil Servant, a relative, lawyer or agent of the applicant.
- 4. Before submitting the application, notice of your intention to apply for Naturalisation must appear in a daily newspaper. An example of the advertisement is set out on the final page of the application form. This notice should be published on two (2) separate occasions at least one (1) week apart and should be submitted along with the application.
- 5. Once you have satisfied the above, the application should be submitted to the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency, 8 Waterloo Road, Kingston 10 accompanied by the following original documents.
1. Birth Certificate
2. Passport on which applicant originally entered Jamaica
3. Marriage Certificate where applicable
4. Current Passport (if different)
5. Work Permit card or Work Permit Exemption Certificate
6. Evidence of Community activities in which you may be involved eg. Service Club, etc.
7. Two (2) passport-sized photographs certified by a Justice of the Peace (The applicant’s name along with the name, number and signature of the certifying officer and the certification date not older than 6 months should be included). No embossed seal.
8. Tax Compliance Certificate (personal and business). If applicant/spouse operates a wholesale income Tax filing is required.
9. Verification of income (e.g. Last 3 pay slips, company financial statements, pension statement, employment letter. These should not be older than 6 months).
10. Recent Bank Statement (Should not be older than 6 months).
Compliant applications are submitted for approval within 24 months
REQUIREMENTS FOR PHOTOGRAPHS
• 2 identical photographs are required
• Photographs should be taken in colour with a matte/dull finish, against a plain background
• Applicants of light complexion should avoid wearing white clothing and should have photographs taken against a pastel shaded background
• Applicants of dark complexion should wear coloured clothing and photographs should be taken against a white background.
• Applicants with grey/white hair should have their photograph taken against a pale blue or pastel background
• There must be no other person or object in the photograph
• There should be no background shadows
• A full frontal pose is required
• There should be no creases or ink marks on the photograph
• Exposed shoulders and chest must be avoided
• Bright coloured clothing is not recommended
• Eye glasses should not have tinted lenses
• Heavy (thick) frames should be avoided
• Headgear is permitted ONLY for religious purposes. Facial features including the outline of the face from the bottom of the chin to top of the forehead must me clearly shown
• Photographs submitted with an application become the property of the Government of Jamaica
• No embossed seal
The 2 passport-sized photographs should be certified by a consular officer, Justice of the Peace, Notary Public Commissioner of Oaths. The name of the applicant along with the name, number and signature of the certifying officer should be included. Certification should not be older than 6 months. Photographs must be dated.
Naturalization as a citizen of Jamaican attracts a non-refundable processing fee of JMD$50.000.00 made payable at PICA, 8 Waterloo Road, Kingston 10. Payment will only be accepted in Jamaican dollars.
Please note that upon approval the applicant is required have the certificate endorsed at the Stamp Office at an additional cost of $JMD1000.00.
Compliant applications will be prepared for submission to the Minister within twenty-four (24) months.
PICA reserves the right to request additional and or updated information during the processing of the application.
- General Citizenship Information
- Category Of Citizenship
- Becoming a Citizen