Permanent Residence allows a foreign national to live and engage in productive activities in Jamaica without restrictions on their entry to the island and they do not require a work permit. As they are not citizens of Jamaica, they are not accorded the same constitutional rights as citizens.
An applicant for permanent residence should be willing to accommodate an interview with PICA’s Investigation and Surveillance Unit as part of the approval process.
An applicant for permanent residence must fall in any one of the following categories:
- Employment (not less than 3 years)
- Marriage to a Jamaican
- Previous holders of Unconditional Landing status by virtue of marriage to a Jamaican
An application for permanent residence should be submitted along with the following documents:
- Valid passport (entry visa for Jamaica is required for nationals of Non Commonwealth countries as well as nationals of Commonwealth countries on whom a visa requirement has been imposed)
- Evidence of financial status and means of support such as particulars of pension, bank statement, property owned and business investments. (PICA reserves the right to request additional documents [such as updated financial documents eg. bank balances or business financial statements) during the application process.
- Business owners must present Certificate of Registration, Tax Compliance Certificate (TCC) – this may be printed from the website, proof of Income Tax Returns (applicable to holders of Jamaican work permits & owners of businesses in Jamaica) and audited financial statement for the last full year of the business’ operation.
- Birth Certificate of applicant (original) and should be translated if not in English.
- Birth Certificate or Jamaican passport of Jamaican Spouse – applicable to applicants who are married to a Jamaican
- Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree /Decree Absolute where applicable
- Birth Certificate of children where applicable
- Local Medical Certificate – certificate of good health (in Jamaica)
- Police Certificate from previous country or countries of residence and from Jamaica if resided here for six (6) months or more
- Two (2) identical passport size photographs certified by a Justice of the Peace
- Evidence of asset/property ownership in Jamaica or abroad (documents should be translated if not in English)
- Letter stating reason for seeking permanent residence in Jamaica
- Letter from two reputable references or acquaintances (nationals of Jamaica)
- Non-refundable processing fee of Jamaican One Hundred Thousand dollars JMD100,000.00
- Letters in (l) & (m) must be addressed to:
The Chief Executive Officer
Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency
25 Constant Spring Road,
N.B – All documents submitted must be original.
Applications are usually processed within 3 to 6 months.